On 17 May 1791, King Christian the Seventh gave his permission to smallholder Peter Andresen to run a brickworks at Nybøl Nor. Already the owner of a small farm at the place, Peter Andresen was therefore the first brick maker in the Petersen family. Today, the brickworks is run by Christian A. Petersen and his daughters, respectively the seventh and eighth generation in a direct line.
The 6.5 km² large Nybøl Nor was then, as now, ideal for brickwork industry. The coastline of the cove had rich glacial clay deposits and the cove had a direct navigable connection to Flensborg Fjord. Back in the 1700s, several brickworks were lying side by side. With about 50 brickworks, the concentration was then the largest in Northern Europe. Today, six brickworks remain.
From being a local brickworks founded more than 220 years ago, Petersen Tegl has developed into a highly specialised company with global exports. Developments have been achieved - and still are - in cooperation with architects from all over the world.